Friday, February 10, 2006

We had the English Literature plays today. We had chosen to do Act 3 Scene 1 from Julius Caesar. The entire event was an unprofessional affair as people were allowed to take their scripts on the stage and read from them. Well my group also took their scripts on stage. I was playing Mark Antony and since I had mugged up my lines the night before, I didn't feel the need to take a copy of the script with me onto the stage. Well as it turns out, even though I had learnt my lines really well, under the collective glare of 60 odd students I forgot most of them. And the one's I didn't forget, I fumbled. People told me that I did a good job but they were wrong. I new I had done a horrible job. Well, I was not satisfied with the way I played Mark Antony. But people seemed to think it was good...thats because they hadn't read the script. Screwing up on stage is bad enough, but what is worse is when you know you've screwed up but people don't know it and they seem to think you've done a good job. Yup, that's even worse because people are all complementing you and stuff and you stand down their complements and they think you are being modest. When you are praised for doing a job well, but you alone know that you've fucked it up, all those praises and complements make you feel really empty inside. Because eventually, whatever people may say - they may like our job or not - you and you alone are truly in a position to judge yourself.

5 Comments:

Blogger ruhey said...

hey abhi
the compliments were given to appreciate the fact tht u did it without the script....which is pretty cool for muggin the lines one night before...
cheers
Ruhie.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Anorion said...

Dude you were like the only guy in class who didn't take the script on stage, and you were feeling your dialogues, which made it different.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ha ha ha :)

1:21 PM  
Blogger filterkaapi said...

gr8 work mate!!

2:01 AM  
Blogger PerfumesReviewer said...

doode i had read the scriptand i knew ur dialogues too... only i could tell what ur dialogues were and there r so many gud points i can list..
firstly that u did it wid ur heart
secondly u came in late panting but still didn't make a mess..
thirdly your loud voice made our play a complete hit(and probably fetched us extra marks too)
fourthly ur bald look really got into the character...
fifth i know u netter now after working in this project and want u to refill ur cell so that i can keep in touch wid u regularly..

dont feel bad
keep writing mate

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home