Saturday, February 04, 2006

This is my second consecutive post about Michael Jackson. The only the only two obsessions that I ahven't blogged about so far are Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. LOTR, thanks to MJ's continued support has become an obsession with me, well at least enough to rival F1.
So anyways, Dancing Like Michael Jackson. Many of you, I suppose all of you, have seen at least a few videos of Michael Jackson. You guys must have noticed that he has developed a very unique dancing style. I'm sure when you guys think of Dancing and Michael Jackson, the first sliver of thought that seeps into your minds is Moonwalk. Yes that is one of his most popular steps but it forms only maybe 10% of every performance. The other ninety percent of the time, he does unbelievable things with his legs (I'm sure ignorant perverts will think of something other than dancing). Its like magic. Move over Harry, Gandalf, Radagast and all the rest of them fictional magicians. The way his feet move to the rythm of his songs is spectacular. But having attempted them, I can tell you that they are not difficult to perform, not difficult to perform, but yes, difficult to perfect.
I've tried dancing like Michael Jackson, picking up cues from his videos. The thing is that more than his steps being difficult, they are complicated and he performs them in such quick succession and so effortlessly that they might well be the cogs of a semi-automatic transmission. So anyways, what I usually do is I watch the video, then I watch it again, and again, and again at the normal speed, then I watch it again in slow-mo. And then after this entire rigmarole, I attempt the step in front of a mirror. Yup, I attempt just the one step in front of the mirror. Just the one. Then it takes me some time to perfect it, like the angle of my foot has to be right and my body has to be bent just the right amount and stuff. But even then, what I attain after 'perfecting' the step is just me doing a decent enough job.
I have been attempting the Moonwalk for many months now, and just yesterday I found that what I thought to be the technique, after watching videos, wasn't right at all. The Moonwalk is an optical illusion, or so I think at the moment, but I might be proved wrong again. So I tried using the new technique and well ... Eureka!! No I didn't run around naked having just got out of the bathtub! I will once I perfect it! Yeah so, upon applying the new technique, it was much easier and in the mirror my feet actually looked to be Moonwalking!
Learning to dance like Michael Jackson is a hard journey that requires perseverence, and I'm hardly at the end of that journey. In fact, I'm just packing my bags, getting ready to set off on the journey. Its a hard jorney, but not a difficult journey. What I have shared with you guys is just a little bit, a snippet(if the word is appropriate) of my experience. The point of this article, Dancing like Michael Jackson, the point of making you read about my experiences, which may seem trivial to you, is that one must persevere if one wants something badly. Sure there have been times where I have given up because some steps were too difficult to master, cause I was frustrated. But then, I have again picked up where I had left off and given it another shot. My dad once told me that in my case, I persevere for things that I really like (F1, MJ,etc.) but I can't to the same in the case of things I don't like (studies). Its true. There are some people who work hard with context to things they don't like doing, knowing that they just have to. But in my case I work hard only with context to things I like doing. So I'm not saying take my example, I'm not setting a very good example. All I'm saying is Persevere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home